A full application includes the following:
- Cover Letter: Please provide a cover letter that outlines your specific interest in this residency, how the residency could inform or contribute to your practice, how you want to interact with the community, and how your practice will contribute to the community of the neighborhood.
- Artist Statement: Please send a statement that will offer context in the review of your work samples.
- Work Samples: A portfolio of 10 to 20 examples of work completed in the past three years. We will review still images and/or video. Still images should be formatted as JPEG files. Video submissions must be in MOV, WMV, or FLV format and may be no longer than 10 minutes total. Video can be complete works or excerpts.
- Image List: Please provide a corresponding image list that will provide title, date, size, media, and any other applicable information for your Work Sample materials.
- References: Please provide contact information for two professional references that can speak to your investment in the field of visual arts as well as your ability to live in and contribute to a community.
To submit your application, you can email email@example.com. Do not email your images; instead images should be a link to a website or cloud file. You may also mail a hard copy and disk C/O Betsy Dollar, 700 North 4th Street, Springfield, IL 62702.
We welcome applications from collaborative artists, and especially those that are willing to share space. Collaboratives should apply together by submitting one application per group, though each artist should offer an individual CV/Resume and individual references.
Glass Artist Fellowship
The Springfield Art Association is currently building a new building for ceramics, metals/jewelry, and glass. The SAA is seeking a glass blowing artist who is interested in helping establish a new program and studio. Ideally the residency will begin in March of 2019 and last for one year. In addition to free housing, the SAA will be paying a stipend and offer full access to the studio. More details to be posted soon. Application deadline is January 15, 2019.
There is no application deadline at this time. We are accepting applications for residencies on a rolling basis and accommodating a variety of schedules. Please submit your application with optimal dates for your stay.
The selection process will emphasize the evaluation of provided Work Samples, the potential for applicants to engage with and benefit from the residency, and the potential to impact the Enos Park neighborhood and community of Springfield.
Community representatives from the field of visual art will conduct a preliminary review to ensure complete applications and eligibility. A subsequent review will take place with a jury compiled of regional professionals (contemporary artists, arts administrators, and curators) to select finalists. Finalists will then be invited to conduct a phone or Skype interview with program facilitators to determine the final award selections.
A modest residency fee of $50 per week is required from resident artists. The fee covers utilities, insurance, yard maintenance, general upkeep and SAA studio access. Artists may pay weekly, monthly or in an initial lump sum. A 10% discount will be offered for upfront payments. Teaching and other work opportunities at the SAA can be used to offset the fee.
Additional expenses that will be artist’s responsibility will include:
- Travelling expenses to and from Springfield
- Material costs for studio activities
- Living expenses during the residency period
- Other foreseen expenses to be incurred during residency