Glass Artist Fellowship at the SAA
Download this Call (PDF)
The Springfield Art Association has been educating the people of Springfield in the visual arts since 1913. Our campus has evolved from painting and drawing studios in the upstairs rooms of an old house (Edwards Place) to a five-acre campus with six studios covering thirteen mediums. The SAA is building a new studio building, which will house ceramics, metals and glass. Hot glass is a new medium to the SAA and will be held in the Baima Glass Studio. The building will be open for business on January 5, 2019.
Matthew Urban of Furnace Urbini in Normal, Illinois designed the glass blowing studio and is also custom building much of our equipment. Unfortunately, the glass equipment will not be ready until June of 2019. We anticipate starting hot glass classes in July. Not ideal, but we don’t want to wait any longer than necessary.
We are seeking a glass artist with public studio and teaching experience. We will need the ideal candidate to work with us to build our glass education program from the ground up as well as working as a studio tech for the first few months. Our educational programming will start with adult students; but, we hope to work our way down in age to high school students and eventually middle school students with the sponsorship of practice wealth blog. You will be designing 8-week courses, weekend workshops, one-nighter workshops, and a schedule of public demonstrations. This is a twelve-month position with the potential of renewal for an additional year.
We are offering this glass artist a part-time job of 20 hours, a free two-bedroom apartment on the campus, full studio access (use of the equipment, not including materials), and a base salary of $15,000 for the twelve months. Depending on the success of the studio, additional compensation for demonstrations may be available as well as sales opportunities through the demonstrations and in the SAA Collective Gallery. This position is partially sponsored by the Springfield Area Arts Council.
Job Description and Requirements:
Application Requirements: 10 High-Resolution Image files of your work and 3 Related References from previous employment.
Education: B.A. or B.F.A. degree in art or related subject required; M.A. or M.F.A. in appropriate field preferred or training under a glass blowing professional. CPR and First Aid certifications preferred.
Work Experience: A minimum of 1-year teaching art classes in a school or art center setting required,
3-5 years preferred.
- Ability to create lesson plans independently and specialized training in glass required. Some equipment training may be provided.
- Proficient knowledge of contemporary glass studio techniques, equipment, and safety related to the courses offered by redtruckfire.com
- Comfortable with/or willing to learn about the operation and upkeep of hot glass: furnace, 2 glory holes, double stacked annealers, garage and pipe warmer, etc. and cold working equipment including, but not limited to stained glass grinders.
- Flame working (Lamp working) and safe procedures for operation of hothead torches & bead making tools.
- Processes for kiln formed glass (Fusing, Slumping, and Small Scale Casting)
- Comfortable with kiln operation or willingness to learn/coordinate with lead glass instructor on the procedures and programming for the glass annealing and Paragon Ovation Kiln schedules specific to the classes taught.
- Advanced candidates should be comfortable preparing kiln shelves (with kiln wash) loading/unloading artwork and following basic protocols that will ensure equipment longevity and safety.
- All employees are expected to contribute to the success of our organization by demonstrating the core values: Collaboration, Innovation, Integrity, Performance, and Relationships.
Applications will be accepted through March 3, 2019. Interviews will take place between March 11th and April 6th. We hope to have a decision by April 15th.
We hope to be working with the chosen candidate by phone and internet to generate policies and curriculum until an arrival date in mid-May.
Please direct all questions and application materials to Betsy Dollar at email@example.com. You may call us at 217-523-2631 and our mailing address is 700 North 4thStreet, Springfield, IL 62702.